Sunday, September 14, 2008

Update part 2

Bullet points to save batteries. Details tomorrow.

1. Still no power. Still no trucks. Did see a few guys at the neighbor substation on Yale at 7th.  Not much power progress anywhere in the neighborhood.

1.5  Most of the street flooding has drained,  excepted a few places where is becomes trapped in a bowl and can't drain.  That will have to be pumped. No one is pumping it.

1.75  The water is flowing again, with decent pressure.  Citizens are asked to conserve until tomorrow.  I'm taking a shower tonight.

2. Mayor McCheeses' inane comments about clearing debris are bullsit.  No one is clearing debris except the straight guys and lesbians in the neighborhood.  There are chainsaws running everywhere,  but none being weilded by city, state, or FEMA workers.  If the neighbors hadn't come together the streets would still be blocked.

3.  The airport reopens tomorrow.  Miss G is flying to Atlanta.  She is not prepared for her meetings,  but an air-conditioned suite at the W with room service instead of canned beans is worth a little embarrasment.

4.  The kitties are staying here.  They don't travel well. "Normality is important to Shelby.  Drink your juice, Shelby". (10 points to the commenter who gets that!)  Besides,  they like it warm.  Miss Annie will check on them, and I trust her to make good decisions if she thinks it's too hot for them to stay here.

4.5  I'm sick of the sound of generators since I don't have one.  Note to self:  have Kohler Residential Auxilliary Power installed before winter. (We're due an ice storm!)

5. I brought 2 boxes of frozen meat over to "Mom" and "Dads" last night. Their power was restored very quickly,  we think they are on the same grid as a hospital.  Thanks goodness that wasn't wasted.

6. The rest of the food that I can't eat before lunch tomorrow has been thrown away.  All the containers of leftover gumbo,  barbque sauce,  and bean soup are in the trash. I proabably would never have eaten them, anyway.  And those disgusting "Michaelina" frozen dinners in the cardboard that I bought and never ate because they were so gross.

7. There was 1/2 a jar of olives and some parmesan cheese in the fridge,  and I couldn;t let that go to waste,  so I'm having "bloodytinis".  Here's the recipe:

2 oz Absolut (peppar if you have it)

2 oz tomato juice or BM mix

teaspoon worcestershire

a few dashes tabasco (to taste)

a blob of horseradish (again, to taste)

 

Wipe the rim of a martini glass with vodka and dip into grated parmesan to coat. (has to be the Kraft powdered kind)

Combine ingedients in cocktali shaker with ice,  shake, and serve up with an olive garnish.

YUM!!!!!  - Time to go shake another batch. More later!

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you enjoyed your Bloodytinis.  Glad you are getting out to Atlanta for a day or two.  Our thoughts are with you :o)

Anonymous said...

Steel Magnolias Dahling!  :)

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of bloodytinis, but that doesn't sound half bad! Sort of...Italian! And who doesn't love Italian?!

I'm sorry to hear things aren't happening faster. I hope that by the time you get back from Atlanta, things will be progressing.

Hugs, Beth
http://journals.aol.com/luvrte66/nutwoodjunction/

P.S. Steel Magnolias  ;)

Anonymous said...

Linda wins!!!
My kitties names are Jackson and Shleby.  "That Jackson Lattry's one hangin' man!"  At least he was until he got fixed!!!  I LUV that movie!!  "More than my luggage!"

Anonymous said...

The bloodytinis sound awesome.  I might just have to go make one to try.  Linda

Anonymous said...

I came by way of Beth.  I am sorry for what you, & much of Texas, has been through, but I laughed a lot  at the sight of "Michaelina" frozen dinners. Someone suggested I try them for my Dad once, a guy born in Bologna, uhm no. Just the box turned me off. ~Mary