Saturday, September 13, 2008

Miss Ginger is a Terrified Tranny Mess!

You won’t receive this update in real-time.  Broadband is connecting, but the AOL Journals page won’t load.  I’ll type into word, and hopefully load it into journals later.

It’s 2:30 am.  The power has been out for 4 hours.  It’s a bit warmer than I like, but not bad.  I’ve been through hurricanes, near misses, clean sides, dirty sides, etc., my whole life, but nothing like this.  It is relentless, and it has barely started.

Something I’ve never experienced before- thunder, or actually, a lake thereof. After each lightening strike (there are many!) instead of getting a nice, satisfying clap of thunder, you get this weird “bzzzzzzrt!” sound, as though an enormous cosmic transformer has just blown.  It’s really eerie and I wish it would stop!

My nerves are totally on edge.  Of course, I can’t sleep a wink with all the wind, noise, and mind wanderings.  I realized that although all of the windows in the interior of the house were replaced with modern, impact resistant double-paned ones 2 years ago, the 3 windows in the gable ends of the peaked roof on the front part of the house are original.  My fear is twofold. Obviously if those windows fail, the attic will take on water which will drain into the house and cause lots of damage to the flooring, plaster, and furnishings.   Additionally, if the windows fail, hurricane force winds could blow right through the attic and potentially lift the roof off of the house.  The new portion of the house has hurricane clips, but I’m pretty sure the old part doesn’t.  I’m not terrified, but that concern makes it impossible for me to feel at ease.

Another frustrating thing is that when there is a noise outside, you can’t see what it is!  It’s pitch black, and if you shine a flashlight at a window it just reflects right back at you. Even if you defy the “rules” and get close enough to put the flashlight directly onto the window to avoid the glare, you still can’t see anything because the windows are covered with a film of spray.  The rain isn’t in drops or even sheets like a thunderstorm, it this endless spray of water.  A fine, thick mist. Something keeps hitting the roof. I think its cones off of the magnolia tree.  Those are harmless. The shutter on the vent hood exhaust on the roof keeps flapping. Hopefully water won’t blow in, and I sure hope the wind can’t grab the exhaust and rip it off the roof.

Nog wouldn’t go in the garage.  He’s never been held captive and refused to explore the possibility. So he’s riding out the storm on the back porch, which is very sheltered and safe.  I spent the first part of the storm out there with him, but I don’t think it’s smart for me to stay out there much longer. I wish I could just open the door and let him into the house, but he has claws and the inside kitties don’t.  That wouldn’t be a fair fight! Plus, if he wouldn’t go in the garage, I can only imagine how he’d freak out in the house.  If things get really bad I’ll put him in the downstairs bathroom. He’ll scream bloody murder for the rest of the night, but I least he would be safe.

Houston’s city government is going to take a lot of heat for discouraging wide-scale evacuation.  This is terrifying!  I’m not sure I would have left, but I’m pretty sure I will next time!

No comments: